Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Well, it's another college football season (at last)

And now that I've let the beer, gin, and whiskey wear off from the long weekend, I suppose I have some thoughts on the subject. For starters, I will pick on Michigan State. Wow- that was a weak performance. You guys were playing Idaho. I-da-freeking-ho. Yeah, their coach is buddies with John L and you don't want to be known as a bunch of RUTSing bastages piling on points late in games you've already won, but when you're playing a crappy team, win the game early. You guys aren't making it any easier on the 3-4 teams you're going to beat that are going to finish well ahead of your 5-7 record.

And Michigan- well, at least you picked an SEC bottomfeeder to beat up on to start the year as opposed to the usual MACrifices, which I suppose are bracketing the ND game. Watch out for that CMU team, were their coach not mildly retarded, they'd be coming into your stadium with a win.

Florida State and Miami- will one of you guys please buy an offense? I mean, yes, your defenses are very good. But to combine for under 300 yards? Sheesh, I can do that on my Playstation in a quarter.

And of course, the only important game of the opening week- ND/GT. The good guys won, and there was much rejoicing (yay!). It's interesting to see the amount of bitching about the officiating in that game, especially considering the majority of it is coming from GT fans, who neglect to mention several horrendous calls that went in their favor, 2 of them going against Rhema McKnight alone. Couple of notes for our Big Ten(sic) referee buddies out there- "holding" involves actually making some sort of grasping motion toward an opponent. Hitting him in the chest, knocking him on his ass, and continuing to run up field doesn't qualify. And it's usually pass interference when a player is attempting to catch a pass and the guy on the other team reaches around from behind him and pulls his chest down with one arm while ripping his helmet off with the other. All things considered, a horribly officiated game (and I think Johnson caught the ball your guy in the booth overturned, but unlike some, I realize that that was not going to be a game-changing play anyway)

My impressions from watching 1 full game and about 9 halves over the weekend? I'm pretty sure everyone sucks this year. This is going to be fun to watch.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home