Tuesday, January 02, 2007

How sadly out of shape am I?

This sadly:

New Year's Eve, I was over at my brother's house. He has one of those new Nintendo Wii things. We played the boxing on the "WiiSports" disc. 2 fights, we split. After which, I was fairly winded. Almost 48 hours later, my shoulders and neck are still slightly sore from the activity. Almost makes me miss high school, when I'd swim 2 miles and lift weights for an hour before sunrise.

Almost. That pretty much sucked at the time. Especially given the fact that once school ended, I'd have another 5 miles of swimming and 1000 situps to do. In mid-january, when my hair would be frozen by the time I got from the door of the school to the door of my car. Plus, those days, I was in school for swim practice long before dawn, and in school for swim practice about an hour after sunset. That pretty much sucked ass, not seeing the sun for 5 days a week except the 10 minutes during lunch hour I was driving to the mall for some toxic hell...

Labels:

3 Comments:

At 12:54 PM, January 11, 2007, Blogger Michael Pigott said...

-Almost makes me miss high school, when I'd swim 2 miles and lift weights for an hour before sunrise.-

Jesus, man! What Shaolin temple did you go to school at?

 
At 4:49 PM, January 11, 2007, Blogger Crazy Tom said...

One with a sadistic bastard for a swim coach at the time. (and which generally had a pretty good team. I think the league started in '64, and by the time I graduated in '93, we had our 22nd or 23rd league title. Our worst finish in my 4 years was 4th in state). Did I mention that he took "Christmas break" as an opportunity to have much more difficult and longer practices? 8 am to 1:30 in the afternoon, with about an hour to an hour and a half of that taken up with a trip to the weight room. At least we got to sleep in that week though. And we got Christmas Eve and Christmas day off.

I really don't miss the "in the weight room at 5:15 am" policy, but it would be nice to get back into some sort of decent shape. But, we swimmers always got great parking spots when we got to school.

 
At 12:42 PM, January 18, 2007, Blogger Jamie said...

Boy, does that bring back memories. I vaguely recall seeing the sun between October and April each year... at least summer season had a lot of outdoor meets. :)

But you're absolutely right, it was awesome to be in that sort of shape. I miss it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home